Jan. 18-21: Philadelphia Road Closure, Detour Planned
Workers plan to replace underground pipes between Mayflower Road and Hospital Drive along Maryland Route 7, impacting the Rosedale and White Marsh area.
Crews plan to excavate and replace two major underground drainage pipes between Mayflower Road and Hospital Drive, the SHA announced in a release.
Beginning at 9 p.m. on Friday and continuing until 5 a.m., Monday, the following detours will go into effect:
- Eastbound/northbound Philadelphia Road will be closed to through traffic at Mayflower Road. SHA will direct traffic to Rossville Boulevard to Franklin Square Boulevard to Hospital Drive and back to eastbound Philadelphia Road.
- Westbound/southbound Philadelphia Road (toward Baltimore City) will be closed to through traffic south of Hospital Drive. The posted detour will be Hospital Drive to Franklin Square Boulevard to Rossville Boulevard and back to westbound Philadelphia Road.
- Truck drivers traveling between Baltimore County and Harford County may wish to use alternative routes, Pulaski Highway or Interstate 95.
In case of inclement weather that disrupts the work, the same detours will go into effect between Jan. 25 and Jan. 28, according to the SHA.
The detours will likely impact those traveling to the Community College of Baltimore County Essex, Franklin Square Hospital and other area institutions and businesses. Drivers should plan on extra travel time. During the closure, impacted Philadelphia Road residents will still be allowed to access their driveways, the release stated.
The work is part of a $1.5 million project to improve the intersection at Philadelphia Road and Hospital Drive. Concrete General, Inc of Gaithersburg will likely complete the project by late summer 2013, according to the release.
It includes the following improvements:
- Intersection widening to provide a new left turn lane from eastbound Philadelphia Road to Hospital Drive
- Installation of a new traffic signal and removal of the existing flashing beacon at the intersection
- Highway drainage system reconstruction
- Pavement resurfacing and marking
- Retaining wall construction
- Storm water management improvements
Anyone with questions about the project may contact SHA’s District 4 Office in Hunt Valley at 410-229-2420, toll-free at 1-866-998-0367 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Traffic and safety updates are also available by calling 511 or 1-855-GOMD511 or visit www.md511.org.