The American Red Cross is asking all eligible blood and platelet donors to help offset a weather-related shortfall in donations.
There is an urgent need for platelet donors, as well as blood donors with the most in-demand blood types — O positive and negative, A negative and B negative to give blood in the days and weeks ahead to offset the shortfall, reports Fox 5. Donated blood helps cancer patients, accident victims and many others.
About 280 blood drives across 25 states were canceled across the country because of recent snow and extreme cold. Locally, severe winter weather forced the cancellation of 10 Red Cross blood drives, resulting in about 258 fewer than expected blood and platelet donations.
“It’s the blood products already on the shelves that help save lives when severe weather hits,” said Linda Voss, Chief Executive Officer of the Red Cross Greater Chesapeake and Potomac Blood Services Region. “Thanks to generous Red Cross blood and platelet donors, blood products were available for patients who still needed transfusions despite the weather. Now we invite those previously ‘frozen out’ from giving blood or platelets to come in soon.”
Go to the Red Cross website to find a blood drive or set up an appointment.
Blood drives happening today and Tuesday around Maryland include:
- Feb. 17, noon to 7 p.m., Rockville American Red Cross, Rockville Blood Donation Center, 11820 Parklawn Dr
- Feb. 17, 12:30 p.m. to 6 p.m., Burtonsville Fire Department #15, 13900 Old Columbia Pike, Silver Spring
- Feb. 17, 1:30 to 7 p.m., Greenbelt American Legion Post 136, 6900 Greenbelt Rd, Greenbelt
- Feb. 17, noon to 7 p.m., Columbia American Red Cross, Columbia Blood Donation Center, 10400 Little Patuxent Pkwy., Columbia
- Feb. 17, 1 to 6:30 p.m., First Evangelical Lutheran Church, 8397 Piney Orchard Pkwy., Odenton
- Feb. 17, 10:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., White Marsh American Red Cross, 8114 Sandpiper Circle, Baltimore
- Feb. 17, noon to 7 p.m., Timonium American Red Cross, 2405 York Rd, Lutherville
- Feb. 17, 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Anne Arundel Co. Public Library – Crofton, 1681 Riedel Rd, Crofton
- Feb. 17, noon to 7 p.m., Glen Burnie American Red Cross, 7310 Ritchie Highway, Glen Burnie
- Feb. 18, 2 to 8 p.m., All Saints Episcopal Church, 3 Chevy Chase Circle, Chevy Chase
- Feb. 18, 2:30 to 8 p.m., Annapolis Moose Lodge 296, 1890 Crownsville Rd, Annapolis
- Feb. 18, 1 to 6:30 p.m., Moose College Park Lodge 453, 3700 Metzerott Rd, College Park
- Feb. 18, 2 to 7:30 p.m., St. Stephen's Traditional Episcopal Church, 11856 Mays Chapel Rd, Timonium
- Feb. 18, 2 to 7 p.m., Owings Mills Mall, 10300 Mill Run Circle, Owings Mills