Celebrating its 31st consecutive year, the Kingsville’s Independence Day Parade will travel down Bradshaw Road on July Fourth.
As usual, there will be no rain date, said Parade Chairperson Linda Alexander of the Greater Kingsville Civic Association.
This year's theme, "Honor the Stars, Be Proud of our Stripes, Wave Your Flag," was created by Vincent and Domenic Maria, sixth- and fourth-grade students respectively from St. Stephen School. They won a $100 savings bond for their winning entry.
Alexander also released the following schedule, awards and sponsorship information:
Kingsville’s Independence Day Parade Schedule
Monday, July 4
- Bradshaw and Jerusalem Roads will be closed.
- Pre-parade music and celebration, sponsored by PNC Bank and Kingsville Market, will begin at the judges viewing stand will provide a fun-filled hour of entertainment.
- Parade will kick off at the Kingsville Volunteer Fire Company on Bellvue Avenue (formation starting 9:30 a.m.) and proceed down Bradshaw Road to Jerusalem Road and finish at St. Paul’s Lutheran Church.
- Opening ceremonies will be held at the judges viewing stand, presided over by Bruce McCubbin, master of ceremonies, with Susie Rising performing the national anthem, along with the John Carroll High School Band, led by Daniel Briggs. Steve Huber, a longtime Kingsville resident, will serve as the 2011 grand marshal. A fly-by will be provided by the Maryland Air National Guard.
Kingsville’s Independence Day Parade Awards
Trophy awards will be made at the July 20 meeting of the GKCA in the following categories:
- Marching Units
- Band/Musical Entry
- Antique Vehicles
- Equestrian (Individual)
- Equestrian (Group)
- Family, Group or Individual Entry
- Young Set (age 12 and under)
- Commercial Entries or Floats
- Non-Commercial Floats
- Fire Apparatus
- Melvin C. Neuman Award for BEST APPEARING COMPANY IN PARADE
- Best Appearing Engine
- 2nd Best Appearing Engine
- Best Appearing Truck Company
- Best Appearing Ambulance
- Recreational Vehicle
- BEST INTERPRETATION OF THEME
- First prize of $150
- Second prize of $100
- Third prize of $50
- 10th Annual Mary Frances Sheppard Award for BEST ENTRY IN THE PARADE
- Winner will receive $150
- Melvin C. Neuman Award under the fire apparatus category for BEST APPEARING COMPANY IN PARADE
- BUD HUSON AMERICAN PRIDE AWARD for the best band/musical entry in the parade.
The deadline for entries to be judged is June 26.
Kingsville’s Independence Day Parade Sponsors
Main sponsors include:
- The Greater Kingsville Civic Association
- The Kingsville Community Alliance, Inc.
- Kingsville Volunteer Fire Company
Additional sponsors include:
- Kingsville Market
- PNC Bank
- John and Kathy Brooks
- Corbin Fuel Company
- Carroll Independent Fuel Co.
- Kingsville Plaza by Goettner Const. Co., Inc.
- Fork Veterinary Hospital, Dr. Kevin Doherty
- Paul E. Feild, Jr. D.D.S.
- Long Green Animal Dermatology Center, Dr. Joseph Bernstein
- Sunshine Grille, LLC
- Smith and Prothero Physical Therapy
- Valley Wine Shop
- J.S.I. Automotive
- G&M Automotive Sales & Service
- CRS Flooring Services
- Kingsville Auto RepairBudget Truck Rental
- Maryland Portable Restrooms
- Metro Talk
- The Color Guard from Aberdeen Proving Ground, along with this year’s parade assistants, will also spend a free evening with the Ironbirds in Aberdeen, sponsored by Daves Tag and Title Service, Salvo Auto Parts, Kingsville Community Alliance, Inc., Petes Pickins and Thrivent Financial.
For further information, contact Parade Chairperson Linda Alexander at 410-592-7385.