Firefighters from the Baltimore County Fire Department will visit every school in the county to conduct fire drills and give feedback to administrators.
Third graders will also submit posters promoting fire prevention in the kitchen—where two of five house fires start—and the winners will be honored by Fire Chief John Hohman at an award ceremony later this fall.
The White Marsh Volunteer Fire Company is also holding an open house and fire safety education day on Oct. 12 from 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. in the station at 5419 Ebenezer Road.
Here are some tips from BCFD to prevent fires in the kitchen:
- Never leave pots unattended on the stovetop
- Regularly check foods baking or roasting in the oven
- Make sure you turn burners off after removing pots from the stovetop
- Clean cooking surfaces to prevent food and grease buildup
- Don't cook if you're under the influence of alcohol, taking a medication that causes drowsiness, or fatigued
- Keep curtains, towels and potholders away from hot surfaces
- Do not wear loose-fitting clothing that could catch fire; wear short or tight-fitting sleeves
If a cooking fire occurs:
- Call 911
- If the fire is a grease or oil fire, slide a lid over the flames to smother them, then turn off the heat and leave the lid in place until the pan cools
- Extinguish other food fires with baking soda; never use water or flour
- Keep the oven door shut, and turn off the heat to smother an oven or broiler fire