Principal Allen Zink of said community members were understandably concerned when fire engines arrived at the Ebenezer Road school Tuesday morning.
But the fire department presence and evacuation of students had been caused only by a "malfunctioning smoke alarm" at the school, Zink said.
The alarm, located near an exterior door, went off at about 8 a.m. and officials believe it may have been set off by high levels of humidity that sensors can mistake for smoke, he said. The National Weater Service measured Tuesday's humidity in the Perry Hall area at 94 percent.
No smoke or fire was found anywhere in the building, according to Zink, and students returned to classes immediately after a brief evacuation.
The alarm is expected to be repaired soon, he said.
How have you prepared your child for an in-school emergency? Does your child communicate with you via cell phone during school? Tell us in the comments.