'Malfunctioning Smoke Alarm' Evacuates Perry Hall Middle

The principal said the false alarm may have been caused by high levels of humidity.

Principal Allen Zink of said community members were understandably concerned when fire engines arrived at the Ebenezer Road school Tuesday morning.

But the fire department presence and evacuation of students had been caused only by a "malfunctioning smoke alarm" at the school, Zink said.

The alarm, located near an exterior door, went off at about 8 a.m. and officials believe it may have been set off by high levels of humidity that sensors can mistake for smoke, he said. The National Weater Service measured Tuesday's humidity in the Perry Hall area at 94 percent. 

No smoke or fire was found anywhere in the building, according to Zink, and students returned to classes immediately after a brief evacuation.

The alarm is expected to be repaired soon, he said.

How have you prepared your child for an in-school emergency? Does your child communicate with you via cell phone during school? Tell us in the comments.

PerryHallParent September 05, 2012 at 07:17 PM
This is quite a concern because every time it rains, the humidity is obviously at 100%. There has to be a way to correct this. How scary for the students that must have been after recent events.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »