Emergency crews responded to a carbon monoxide leak at A Total Difference salon in Perry Hall Friday evening, Baltimore County police confirmed.
Workers and customers evacuated the building on the 9700 block of Belair Road after the leak was discovered at about 5:30 p.m. No one was seriously injured, according to salon manager Karen Evans.
Police and firefighters remained on the scene as of 6:50 p.m., and treated at least one worker with oxygen.
A hot water heater caused the dangerously high levels of carbon monoxide in the building, according to Evans.
Workers had been complaining of headaches for days, prompting a worker's husband, a firefighter, to bring a carbon monoxide detector into the building. "It went off as soon as he walked through the door," Evans said.
She said she feels fortunate that no one was seriously injured.
The property owner is expected to repair the hot water heater, and the salon will likely reopen by Tuesday, Evans said.
Should all homes and businesses have CO detectors? Tell us in the comments.