Cockeysville Manhunt Suspect's Trial Postponed To May 2024


This photo of David Emory Linthicum was used to identify him during the manhunt in February. (Photo Credit: Baltimore County Police Department)

BALTIMORE COUNTY - The trial for David Emory Linthicum, who was at the center of a manhunt in Cockeysville eight months ago, has been delayed, according to the State Attorney's Office.

Previously slated for November 2, the trial for David Emory Linthicum is now scheduled for May 20, 2024.

Linthicum was arrested and denied bail in April. He stands accused of attempted first-degree murder, first-degree assault, and several firearm-related charges related to the shooting of two officers during a manhunt in February.

What Happened?

According to Officials, Baltimore County Police responded to a call of a "person in crisis" in the area of Powers Avenue in Cockeysville at about 2:30 p.m. on Wednesday, February 8.

Upon arriving at the home, family members escorted the officers to then-24-year-old David Emory Linthicum.

During the interaction between police and Linthicum, one of the officers was shot, according to Baltimore County Police spokesperson Joy Stewart.

A barricade situation followed the shooting, which caused a shelter-in-place order to be issued for the area of Powers Avenue.

Eight Baltimore County Schools were closed as a result of the incident.

As the search continued into the next day, police searched the entire Cockeysville area for the suspect. Around 9:15 on Thursday night, police issued a shelter-in-place order in the area between Powers Road and Warren Road, tweeting, "The wanted suspect has been spotted in the area."

According to Joy Stewart, a Baltimore County detective encountered Linthicum in the area of Warren and Bosley roads. When the detective tried to engage with the suspect, they pulled out a rifle and began shooting at the detective, striking him "multiple times."

Baltimore County Police Chief Dennis Delp said the suspect stole the detective's car after the shooting and fled from Cockeysville to Fallston. The stolen vehicle was disabled in the Fallston area by a police spike strip.

Delp said the suspect tried to drive on the damaged wheels before bailing out of the vehicle and running into the woods.

Around 1:30 a.m., The Harford County Sheriff's office tweeted that the suspect was surrounded in a wooded area of Fallston.

Harford County Sheriff Jeff Gahler said that Police used loudspeakers and other "less-than-lethal" tactics in an attempt to get Linthicum to come out of the woods with his hands up. The standoff in Fallston lasted more than eight hours, with the Linthicum surrendering himself around 5:30 a.m.

More News from Perry Hall
I'm interested
I disagree with this
This is unverified